Saturday, July 17, 2010

Project Based Learning and Technology

PBL, it makes me think of an after-school snack or yummy sandwich from my childhood. And we did get to engage in project-based learning when we were growing up...it was called summer vacation and playing outside. The neighborhood was our classroom and we had plenty of eyes watching us to make sure it didn’t include their flowerbeds or garden hoses that happened to be left out. We made our cruise ship out of a fallen tree. But this is the kind of energy and engagement and learning that was taking place in the video about the school that used the PBL model. I really appreciate the comment by one of the teachers or the principal about the need for kids to learn to communicate and use social skills for the rest of their life. That would be a main element for PBL. Also it was thrilling to see the technology at their fingertips, comparing the letter “b” by dragging it over the letter “d”, video clips and other fact finding feats of the smart board. I think it’s important to have the benefit of quick retrieval of information, substantial technology resources and an effective teacher to guide and streamline it all. I did notice that the groups working with teachers were very small. That is a dream situation and I’m sure it takes lots of teacher collaboration. Test scores wouldn’t be an issue if we could give students these learning opportunities throughout their school lives.
I remember the days in school I didn’t dare ask a question because I’d surely get the pat answer “well, why don’t you look that up”. Surely every middle class family had a set of encyclopedias? That thirst for wanting to know is one of the main reasons I went into teaching. We humans are curious beings and that is the main ingredient for project-based learning. Life long learning will drive us for, well, the rest of our lives. Technology is awesome!
I visited two of the other sites and wow! One of them on podcasts would be great to use as a short clip for students learning about online safety. The other was a middle school blog and I only got through the diary part. There was so much there. But the teacher diary section just confirmed that it’s all good, even when it feels bad (teaching).

No comments:

Post a Comment